Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Kottambari Paalle Gojju(Coriander Leaves Sweet and Sour Chutney)

Kottambari Paallo in Konkani means Coriander Leaves. We GSBs make a sweet and tangy gojju/chutney with them especially during the monsoons, when they are available in abundance. My mother used to make it regularly, but I could not stand the smell and taste of coriander leaves at a very young age like many other kids! 

However, I was totally bowled by the gojju made by our neighbour Balkunje Prema Shenoy(Premakka I call her) one day in the year 2001. It was so good, I asked her to send more. 

Then I also asked her how she prepares it, and she said it is very simple, just grind coriander leaves along with roasted chillies, tamarind, jaggery and grated coconut and add salt, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves in coconut oil. She didn't stop there. She whispered a secret in my ears, saying "Coriander leaves and grated coconut smell good if you lightly roast them". That's a secret recipe I got to know, but I never tried making the gojju myself, for later we got it from Premakka many times! I even ate it with dosas, idlis and chapatis. This gojju has a unique aroma and taste which makes it addictive!

I got 3 bunches of coriander leaves, real cheap at More outlet near our home last week. They cost just Rs.2.90 per bunch, each bunch weighing over 100 Gms! However, we could not make much use of them, and couple of bunches were packed in plastic box and kept in the fridge. They invariably started decaying after 4 days, and yesterday I was disheartened to see almost one bunch wasted! After cleaning them and washing them thoroughly, I could collect only about 100 Gms of the greens and decided to make this gojju today.

Here I go with my method, thanks to Premakka for her useful tips to make the gojju awesome.

Ingredients:
Coriander Leaves - 1 bunch(100 Gms)
Grated Coconut - 2 Tbsp
Red Chillies - 3 long(Byadgi) and 2 short(Ramnadu)
Tamarind - A pinch, size of a chickpea
Jaggery - Around 75 Gms(or 2 Tbsp powdered jaggery)
Rock Salt - 1/2 Tsp(or 1/4 Tsp table salt)
Coconut Oil - 2 Tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig

Method:
Clean wash and chop the coriander leaves coarsely.
Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a shallow pan and roast 2 long and 2 short chillies, drain and keep aside.
To the remaining oil in the pan, add grated coconut and roast on medium flame for 2 mins.
Add 2/3 of the chopped coriander leaves, especially the stem, and fry for 1 min.
Grind the roasted ingredients along with remaining fresh coriander leaves, tamarind, powdered jaggery and salt into a fine chutney, adding just 1 tbsp water if necessary.
Transfer the chutney into a bowl and check for salt.
Heat 1 and 1/2 Tsp oil and add mustard seeds.
Allow them to splutter, and then add the single Byadgi chilli and curry leaves.
Fry the seasoning well and then pour over the gojju.
Mix well and serve along with rice and daalithove or rasam.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Image Copy Control